The right personal injury lawyer is indispensable if you are to have a good representation of your case in court and a fair compensation for the injuries sustained. Personal injury lawsuits that rely considerably on a comprehensive medical chart review could prove difficult to win without a dedicated lawyer who is reliable and trustworthy when handling your claim. This means that the lawyer must be chosen very carefully taking into account certain important factors.
So, here are some of those crucial things to consider when deciding on your personal injury attorney.
- Is the attorney specialized in personal injury? Only a lawyer specialized in personal injury law will have the experience and expertise to handle the claim. Such a lawyer will ensure that his/her client gets the most appropriate evidence to support the personal injury claim and thereby obtain the best amount of compensation that is possible. So, carry out considerable research to understand the reputation and experience of the lawyer or law firm you are hiring. Learn about the qualifications and expertise of the lawyer. If the injuries you sustained are catastrophic, choose somebody who is senior and with specific experience in this area. This is because apart from financial compensation, you need interim payments for treatment and other accommodations that would help make your life easier.
- Does your lawyer have to be a local person? Needn’t be. You need a specialist, who needn’t be one who lives near you. If your injuries are not serious, communication with your lawyer can be by phone or email. If they are serious, your solicitor can visit you either at home or in a hospital especially if you can’t move around easily on account of the injury.
- Ask for recommendations: You can find a good lawyer by asking for recommendations from people you know who may have hired legal services. Ask them about their experience and what they liked or didn’t like about the lawyer or law firm. This will help you make the right choice.
- Is there any financial risk involved? In most cases, lawyers go for a Conditional Fee Agreement or a No Win No Fee agreement. This doesn’t pose any financial risk to the client because if the case is lost, the client doesn’t have to make any payment to the lawyer. If you win the case, the other party pays for the legal fees, and there may also be a deduction taken as a percentage of the final settlement towards legal costs. Discuss these aspects with your lawyer to understand what their normal practice is.
- Consider feedback such as reviews on the internet and the reputation of the lawyer: Websites such as Google, TrustPilot, and Legal Directories such as the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners rank lawyers. Check out a law firm’s website and the feedback left on their pages. Check their experience in the field and their record of winning and obtaining good outcomes for their clients. You can also research the individual profiles of personal injury lawyers in the team.
The steps discussed above should help you identify the right lawyer to represent you in court. You need to associate with a lawyer/law firm that can at an early stage itself establish the seriousness of your injury by reviewing your medical chart with the support of reliable medical review services. This is a vital preliminary step and you should be comfortable discussing your personal/medical issues with your lawyer. You should be able to confide in him/her and be able to freely ask questions and discuss any concerns. Once you have made a final choice, make sure you receive and sign a written fee agreement that clearly lays out what the lawyer will be doing for you and what his/her fee will be for those services. Read the agreement carefully before signing it. A good and reliable lawyer is an essential requirement when you have a personal injury claim and want to win adequate compensation.